Notice of General Meeting 6th March 2018
When?: Tuesday 6th March 2018 5.30pm
Where?: Royal Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow, 12 Nelson Mandela Place, Glasgow, G2 1BT
OPEN TO NON SLAS MEMBERS
- Attendance and apologies
- Introduction by the President of the Scottish Law Agents Society
- Motion This meeting calls upon the Council of the Scottish Law Agents Society to appoint a suitable agent to move the next AGM of the Law Society of Scotland to call upon the Council of the Law Society of Scotland :
3.1 to make inquiry and report to the membership of the Society as to the number and proportion of solicitors’ practices in Scotland which are owned by entities situated outwith Scotland
3.2 to make inquiry and report to the membership of that Society as to the number and proportion of Scottish solicitors are engaged as partners or employees or directors or otherwise by entities situated out with Scotland.
3.3 To intimate to the current Independent Review of the Regulation of Legal Services that this meeting opposes the authorisation of the ownership of legal practices by persons other than solicitors both (a) in general principle and (b) as proposed by the Legal Services (Scotland) Act 2010
3.4 To make inquiry and report to the membership of the Society as to the costs now incurred and the costs likely to be incurred by members of the Society as a result of the current litigations between the Law Society of Scotland and the Scottish Legal complaints Commission by virtue of (a) the representation instructed by the Law Society of Scotland and (b) the representation instructed by the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission.
3.5 To make inquiry and report to the membership as to the perceived benefits to (a) the solicitors’ profession and (b) the general public of Scotland of those litigations.
3.6 To inquire of the Keeper of the Registers of Scotland as to whether the operation of the Land register etc (Scotland) Act 2012 since 12th December 2014 has involved the exclusion from registration of any rights of property that had been previously recorded in the Register of Sasines or registered in he Land register of Scotland
3.7 To request the Keeper of the Registers of Scotland to make inquiry and set out a schedule of such rights which have been excluded from registration in terms of 3.7 above showing in each case the name of the respective registration county and the nature f the right so excluded.
3.8 To make enquiry and report as to what proportion of adverse accounts inspection reports in terms of Practice Rule 6.11 would be avoided if balances of less than (i) - £50.00 and separately, (ii) - £100.00, were ignored as de minimus.
- Motion: This meeting calls upon the Council of the Society to move the next AGM of the Law Society of Scotland to amend the Constitution of the Law Society of Scotland so that :
(a) paragraph 14(5) shall read
“ It shall be competent at any General Meeting to demand a poll or to vote by proxy”
And (b) paragraph 14 (10) shall read
“Where a resolution is proposed for the amendment of this Constitution, it shall, in respect that resolution, not be competent to vote in advance of or at the relevant General Meeting in terms of Article 14(1}.”
- Any Other Competent Business
Note: 1. Voting will be by poll at the meeting. Proxy votes will be included if called for by two members of the Society present at the meeting and if authorised by the chair but only where the proxy has been delivered to the secretary of the Society not less than 48 hours prior to the commencement of the meeting and only where the proxy is a member of the Society.
2.This meeting is open to all members of the Scottish Law Agents Society who apply for registration on or before close of business on 28th February 2017 and also to all Scottish solicitors whose applications for registration have been received on or before that date and granted prior to the commencement of the meeting. Application may only be made in writing by email to email@example.com, by fax to 0141 353 3819 or by postal or other delivery to Scottish Law Agents Society 166 Buchanan Street Glasgow G1 2LW.
3. The Council of the Scottish Law Agents Society calls this meeting subject to the condition that, in the event of insufficient registrations having been received by 28th February 2018, the meeting may be cancelled. This is out of consideration to those members and others who might otherwise travel to a meeting which will serve no purpose and to avoid unnecessary inconvenience to the members and officials of both Societies. The sufficiency or otherwise shall be determined at the discretion of the Council of the Scottish Law Agents Society.