Data Protection Notice – June 2018
On 25th May 2018 the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will take effect. At the Scottish Law Agents Society, we take the holding of personal date seriously and so we take this opportunity to inform you about how we use your personal data. With this information, we ask that you provide consent for us to continue holding your data in order to fulfil our obligations to you.
We may obtain and hold the following information
- Your full name, address, contact information
- Your date of birth and national insurance number
- Certified copies of passport, driving licence, utility bills
- Banking details, including account numbers and sort codes
- Information relating to your financial circumstances
The use of your information
To fulfil our Legal and Regulatory Obligations
- To confirm your identity to meet the requirements of anti-money laundering and fraud prevention legislation.
- To facilitate compliance monitoring, auditing and regulatory and financial reporting.
To fulfil our contractual obligations to you
- Please note that we are unable to provide our service unless we have sufficient information from you to make an adequate assessment.
- The information we hold allows us to deal with your enquiries in an efficient matter using all of the relevant information.
- To enhance our service
Who we may share your information with
- We do not take the sharing of information lightly but there are some circumstances in which we require to share your information with third parties.
- This includes our partners at the publishers of our Gazette, who are provided only with names and addresses to facilitate postage.
- We will not pass on your personal data to any external company for marketing or promotional purposes.
How we keep your information secure
We maintain robust systems and controls to protect the safety of your personal information. These include but are not limited to;
- Verification of your personal data
- Data Protection Policies
- Staff Training
- Periodic Risk Assessments
We will not transfer your data to a country which is not subject to the GDPR. Any service which processes data on our behalf requires our consent to do so.
- We will not pass on or sell your personal information to any third party for marketing or promotional purposes.
- If we were to carry out any marketing or promotional activity in the future, we would ask your consent prior to doing so.
Access to your Personal Information
You have the right to request a copy of the personal data we hold about you. To obtain a copy please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to
Scottish Law Agents Society166 Buchanan StreetGlasgowG1 2LW
If you have a complaint about the handling of your personal data, this can be raised directly with the Secretary of SLAS.
The Scottish Law Agents Society are registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) as a Data Controller. Should you require further information about GDPR please do not hesitate to contact us or visit the website of the ICO (https://ico.org.uk/)