Trainees Continuing Professional Development (TCPD)
Scottish Law Agents Society and Royal Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow – Joint Programme
Trainees Continuing Professional Development (TCPD) has been prescribed by the Law Society as a requirement for the professional qualification of trainee solicitors. A team from the Royal Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow (RFPG) and the Scottish Law Agents Society (SLAS) has drawn up a programme which meets all of the requirements of the Law Society aimed at supporting but with the minimum of disturbance to the main training vehicle, the traineeship itself, while providing through a team of experienced solicitors an excellent training in each of the main areas of legal practice. As far as possible this programme will be part of your traineeship rather than be added to it and will incorporate topics requisitioned by your training firm.
In particular, the trainees taking the course will complete the Law Society requirements for training in:-
- Professional Ethics and Standards
- Professional Communication
- Business, Financial, Commercial and Practice awareness
- Substantive and relevant Legal Knowledge
The course will take the form of a series lectures, discussions, webinars, transactions, draftings, adjustments pleadings, trials, debates etc., to be convened from January 2020 to June 2020 with a helpline facility running on to January 2021 at a total cost of £900 (No VAT) per participant, including all materials and some hospitality.
Our programme proposes that all trainees taking the course shall:-
- Under the guidance of an experienced solicitor, study the construction and content of a typical solicitor’s client file.
- Make representations in the Sheriff Court in a contested matter.
- Analyse a model set of domestic residential missives and deal with a specific drafting difficulty.
- Analyse the pleadings contained in a genuine Closed Record and engage in legal argument thereon (No, we won’t, yes we will)
- Analyse the terms of a standard private client’s Will and adjust a variation further to a specific instruction.
- Draw a petition for the appointment for an executor dative in specific circumstances and ascertain and complete the forms necessary for the confirmation of an executor in an inheritance tax liable estate.
- Analyse a common form of offer for the purchase of commercial premises, including the business operated therein and distinguish this from a share transfer proposal.
- Listen to a senior expert practitioner describe the criminal process at Sheriff Court level.
- Meet senior officials from the Scottish Legal Aid Board and discuss the legal aid process and use of I.T. in that process.
- Meet a senior official from the Law Society of Scotland and discuss the issue of the complaint with particular reference to the new Scottish Legal Complaints Commission.
- Meet an experienced practitioner for an analysis of the fee-charging process and the dangers and difficulties that can arise.
- Engage in negotiation for the settlement of an action raised in the context of a nuisance, based on a genuine closed record.
- Meet a technical legal issue in an interview context with expert guidance to hand with participation in approx. 12 scenarios.
- Rehearse a scripted summary trial and respond, individually, without a script, to particular issues arising.
- Engage in discussion of client care with an experienced solicitor using relevant and up to date materials.
- Review the use of IT facilities which are available to the legal profession as outlined by an experienced solicitor / IT practitioner.
- Examine critically, along with an experienced solicitor, various examples of written documents required in day to day legal practice.
- Review, in discussion with an experienced practitioner, the importance of a diary, personal organisation, time and risk management issues.
- Engage in a series of meetings with an acknowledged expert in professional ethics to review ethical issues in the practice of law and make presentations in relation to specific case studies.
- Analyse a common form of commercial lease and draw an amendment thereto in terms of a given correspondence.
- Listen to a distinguished, senior solemn trial expert describe the preparation process in detail.
- Meet a Chartered Accountant and to review examples of a company account, executory accounts and consider financial aspects of legal practice.
- Take away a DVD recording of his / her own performance in specific parts of the course.
Book your place or intimate an expression of interest by email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference TCPD-Jan-2020 and stating your name and the name/address of your firm and your traineeship commencement date.